THERMAL REMEDIATION SITE APPLICATIONS
Cascade Thermal’s technologies offer flexibility not only in the variety of contaminants that they can treat, but also in the applicability of the technologies to various site types.
Effective Remediation of MGP sites
In situ thermal remediation technologies offer you several advantages for the remediation of your MGP sites:
- Achieve your cleanup goals, even to residential standards;
- Obtain excellent ROI, eliminate liability and increase your property value;
- Remove mobile volatile organic compounds, such as benzene and naphthalene that often drive site risk;
- Prevent migration beyond property boundaries, and protect water bodies;
- Allow ongoing commercial activities on site;
- Applicable beneath buildings and near structures such as roads and bridges, and where other physical features cannot be disturbed;
- Work above and below the water table;
- Applicable to many soils including silty clay layers and heterogeneous soils with wide variations in permeability and water content, and in fractured rock; and
- Significantly reduce long-term operations and maintenance costs of traditional pump and treat systems.
Maximize Return on Investment and Market Value of Brownfields Properties
Cascade Thermal provides rapid, thorough, and predictable remediation of Brownfields property. Our in situ thermal processes can ensure rapid closure, avoid delays, eliminate uncertainty, avoid excavation, and optimize property value. In situ thermal remediation is a reliable, lower risk, and less disruptive way to achieve your remediation goals.
Optimize Property Value
- A typical property value increase might be 1 time (X) if cleaned to industrial standards, 2X if cleaned to commercial standards, but 10X to 100+X if cleaned to residential standards.
Eliminate Balance Sheet Liabilities, Reduce Reporting Requirements
- Ensure that the property becomes an asset on the balance sheet rather than a liability.
- Reduce Sarbanes-Oxley Act reporting requirements. The provisions of this Act require companies to identify and measure environmental liabilities, and to disclose liabilities on the balance sheet.
Shorten Your Cleanup Cycle
- We implement rapid cleanup to achieve site closure in a timeframe consistent with real estate transactions.
Avoid Risks, Noise, Dust, and Neighborhood Disruption by Eliminating Contaminants On-Site.
- Remediate contaminants on-site and in-place (in situ).
- Eliminate the dust, noise, traffic, hauling, and landfill costs (not to mention lingering liabilities) associated with traditional excavation operations.
- Clean, quiet and non-disruptive operations. A neighborhood-friendly way to remediate. Timely, effective on-site remediation is inherently more sustainable and “Greener” than transporting wastes off site.
Eliminate Potential Off-Site Impacts
In some documented cases where capping or excavation was employed, the waste has later affected indoor air quality (through vapor intrusion), leached into groundwater, or moved the liability off site. These issues result in long-term risk for the responsible parties and can result in restrictions on property development. In situ thermal remediation eliminates these risks, results in complete cleanup, and yields the highest possible land use value, often including the option for residential housing.
Thermal Remediation in Fractured Rock
Thermal Conduction Heating (TCH) is applicable in fractured rock and other complex formations such as:
TCH is ideally suited for complex sites such as DNAPL source zones in fractured rock. While other technologies can effectively heat the fractures, they are far less successful in heating the rock matrix, since insufficient heat is delivered to the rock via the fractures alone. For the vast majority of fractured rock types, TCH achieves the desired target temperatures in both the rock fractures and matrix. This offers distinct advantages in both consistency of heating and reliability of extraction.
In Situ Thermal Remediation (ISTR) Beneath and Around Existing Buildings and Infrastructure
In Situ Thermal Remediation (ISTR) technologies, including In Situ Thermal Desorption (ISTD), the Electrical Resistance Heating Process (ERH), and Steam Enhanced Extraction (SEE) have been demonstrated effective in treating source zones with limited access and those adjacent to or beneath buildings and other infrastructure.
Cascade Thermal has completed thermal remediation projects beneath warehouse buildings, near sewers, under active utility lines, inside buried structures, adjacent to active rail lines, on fuel sites, and in other sensitive and inaccessible spaces. These projects are completed without excavation, with minimal disruption and most often without soil subsidence issues.